Friday, May 24, 2013

The Best Actor Speech


Now you can start reading from Part 1 here all through Part 12. Happy reading!

A Once-in-a-lifetime Way to End and Begin the Year
Hope comes in many forms, especially in desperate times like ours. Desperate times resulted in desperate people. Let's be honest, especially for actors like my profile who couldn't make a living in his own home country due to the conflicting policies guiding our local film industry which is strictly regulated by greedy, narrow-minded politicians (whoever said average Malaysian Chinese controls 60% of the country's economy is a damn fool. In person, I'm often being asked what race I am, and most think that I am Malay. In Malaysia, hardly anyone could tell me apart either Malay or Chinese. Important disclaimer: this article does not support any political party, but serve as a caution against all politicians in general. Politicians controls the economy, not us.) Learning, excelling and loving my country's spoken and written language (Bahasa Melayu) from national schools since a young boy, yet not being hired for any substantial work in the film industry that uses that language, read my views at The Malaysian Insider interview. If you think that's bad, even English speaking roles are non-existent for my type of profile, hence diminishing any types of work for sustainable living. It made me angry, betrayed and hopeless to the point of despondency. There were many times when I have to be on very strict budget, having only one meal per day and worrying till mind exhaustion when the money will come in. This is the life of an artiste, but to me, it's also a GLORIOUS life! Glorious because I now realise how strong I can be despite everything is against me, a total opposite of what the naysayers assumed. It also made me more focus and ever more determined to expect the light of day to break away this darkness that engulfs me all my life. Hope indeed do come in the form of an award. To the desperate masses - a talented actor  to give them voice through a great brand. Great brands last forever, not mere mortal actors like me. But when a great brand and the best actor are combined in an awards such as the prestigious BMW Shorties - the result is truly extraordinary.
For my past pro-bono achievements (because it's mostly non-paid, except one), kindly click ACHIEVEMENTS

I pray for all Malaysians to be strong
against evil and not let greed for short-term
gains to distract them from the truth.
I pray silently to God everyday for God would appear to me when I am most desperate. Psychologists agree that all great leaders and actors suffer some form of tragedy early in their lives. Mine was when I lost my father to a tragic car accident when I was 3. That's why I am a person who never rests on his laurels. Also there's so much that makes me desperate everyday. I cannot sleep at peace at night. Time is our greatest, silent enemy. I pray because the year has already ended, and where is the industry that was once promised? I pray for better screenwriters and more daring film directors who would dare break the mould of convention, limiting conventions that were forced upon them by self-serving politicians. I pray for more quality acting work. I pray for the world to be borderless once again, so actors can move freely from one country to another for work. I pray for more of my type of profile to be featured more prominently and depicted fairly in all media like this SHORT FILM so that the Chinese community is not perceived narrowly. I pray for corruption to not restrict my trajectory in achieving my fullest potential as an Actor. I pray that directors and film producers to not go for the tall, handsome physique in portraying the main hero, for it gives a false message to young people. Real heroes come in all shapes, forms and backgrounds. Finally, I pray that all Malaysians will STOP giving the control of their lives to politicians and always acting like the helpless victim, but instead be strong against evil, the blame or false labels bestowed upon them and the greed that is impoverishing the rest of us. (read Part 3: "How to be Strong")

Part 2 to be continued below...

BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 1
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 2
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 3
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 4
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 5
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 6
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 7
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 8
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 9
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 10
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 11
BEST ACTOR SPEECH - Part 12

No comments: